Billing & Collections
The Office of Billing & Collections - Responsibilities
The Office of Billing and Collections have the following responsibilities:
- Collection of all current and delinquent revenue. This includes management of lock box and 3rd party collector contracts
- All cashier and customer service activities, including utilities
- Utility Billing
- Printing and mailing of all personal property, real estate, utility bills
Billing & Collections Office Presentation
- Establishing Services
- How to Read my Bill
- Courtesy Notifications
- New Service Customer Packet
Utility Billing Adjustments
Qualifying criteria for any adjustments can include, but are not limited to the following:
Manual read information
Any customer who files bankruptcy, that includes any current active utility account, will be notified by certified mail that a new service must be established within 20 days of notification. In lieu of the bankruptcy filing, a 25% deposit may be required for the next service.
Garden Meter Process:
When submitting a garden meter adjustment it MUST have the following:
• Pictures of the meter for the previous month and current month
• Account number
• Date it is being submitted
In order for your garden meter to be applied it MUST be turned in between the 1st and 10th of every month.
Your adjustment must be worth $6 or more to be adjusted on your bill, if it is not we will collect them until you reach the minimum amount.
If you prefer to email information or have any questions, please send to email@example.com
The Office of Billing and Collections is pleased to offer several payment options for your billing needs.
- Pay Online Here
- There is a 3% convenience fee with credit cards. There is no convenience fee for paying by check electronically. The online payment site is available 4 a.m. to 11 p.m. Daily.
- In-Person: City Hall (135 N. Union Street)
Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
- Dropbox: You are able to drop off your payment at any time to the drop boxes located in front of City Hall. Payments dropped off are collected and processed the following business day.
- Mail: All Payments may be mailed to the following locations:
- Personal Property: P.O. Box 1271 Petersburg, VA 23803
- Real Estate: P.O. Box 1271 Petersburg, VA 23803
- Utilities: P.O. Box 1271 Petersburg, VA 23803
For Questions regarding payments please email: CityCollector@Petersburg-va.org or call 804.733.2349