Criminal Investigations Division
The Investigations Division is Commanded by Captain Christopher Buffkin and divided into the Major Crimes Unit, the Special Investigations Unit, the Forensics Unit, Document Services, and Asset Forfeiture Services.
- The Major Crimes Unit (MCU) is responsible for the investigation of all serious crimes, including homicide, robbery, aggravated assault, assault, abduction, rape and sex offenses, burglary, economic and fraud crimes, and other crimes that require in-depth or follow-up investigations.
- The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is tasked with narcotics and vice enforcement, as well as other strategic and tactical investigations as directed by the Chief of Police.
- The Forensics Unit is responsible for crime scene processing, evidence collection, property storage and accountability.
- Document Services is responsible for warrant service and prisoner extraditions.
- Asset Forfeiture Services, under the VA Code 19.2-386.22, gives the police department the authority to seize certain property that has been used in the commission of certain felonies, including narcotics. The property may then be forfeited after the court hearings.
Investigators from the Major Crimes unit continually provide information to the victim's family throughout the course of the case. If you have difficulty reaching a detective or are not sure which detective you need to speak with, please call Major Crimes at (804) 203-4466.
As of May 12, 2022: 7 lives have been lost this year. At this date in 2021, 4 lives were lost.
Name Date Location
Brian Wade II 02/28/22 2200 block Ferndale Ave
Stephen Harris 03/04/22 2200 block County Dr
Michael Davis 03/26/22 900 block Diamond St
Male Juvenile 04/02/22 300 block Crestfall Ct
Tyquan Ridges 04/12/22 1500 block E. Washington St
Jamar Jones 04/22/22 1800 block Fort Mahone St
Donte Reid 04/25/22 2700 block S. Crater Rd
**BOLD indicates case has been cleared**