Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
City of Petersburg Prepares for Remnants of Tropical Storm
The remnants of Hurricane Ian are forecast to move through Petersburg beginning late Friday into Saturday and lasting through the weekend. Periods of sustained rain are expected.
Petersburg Emergency Services is preparing for possible flash flooding and damage that could be caused by rain and wind. Stormwater drains are being cleared throughout the City. Signage and barricades are being moved to known places of flooding, all equipment needed is fueled, and city crews are on standby to work through the weekend.
Police will be patrolling throughout the City and reporting areas of concern to Public Works and other City Departments. Please report any flooding or fallen trees to the police non-emergency number: (804) 732-4222. Petersburg is asking its citizens to be ready for the storm by preparing now. Please consider the below preparedness tips.
- Tie down or bring inside any objects that could be blown around by wind or damaged by heavy rain such as outdoor furniture, grills, garbage cans, toys, or other loose objects;
- Secure all windows in your house and all objects on your roof such as antennas or satellite dishes;
- Trim back any trees or bushes that can blow against your house and cause damage;
- Stock up on water and food;
- Charge your electronic devices;
- Have working flashlights and extra batteries;
- Plan to stay in touch with relatives or neighbors in case of power loss;
- Fuel your vehicle, but during the storm please stay off the roads unless there is an emergency;
- If you plan to use a generator, be sure you have proper electrical wiring and ventilation, and
- Stay tuned to Petersburg social media, television, and the city website (www.petersburg-va.org) for updates.