Courtesy Notifcations

New Meters

• Most of the City’s previous water meters were close to 20 years old and needed to be replaced. The new meters are more reliable and eliminate the need to manually read the meters. There is no cost to the customer for the meter replacement.

• Older water meters tend to run slower and often do not measure all of the water going through the meter. Most customers were paying for the water that was actually utilized; however, some customers were only paying for a fraction of the water used. The new meters are accurate in measuring the water used and ensures that all customers are billed fairly. All the new meters were tested and certified for accuracy prior to installation.

• The meter replacement project began in 2014 and was completed in 2015. Now that your new water meter is installed, you will receive water bills monthly instead of every other month and the water will be measured in gallons instead of cubic feet (Conversion Table.)

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How can I sign up for direct debit (water bill payment deducted directly from my bank account)?
    • Automatic and recurring online bill payment is typically offered free to any commercial bank or credit union where the customer already has an existing relationship.
  2. Can I view my account online?
    • Yes. You can go to the City's main homepage and visit the link Online Payments.
  3. Who can give our business permission to use a fire hydrant?
    • Please give us a call at 804-733-2349
  4. I would like to go paperless, is there a way to stop getting a paper bill and get a bill emailed to me?
    • Currently, the City does not offer electronic statements. However, balance information is available for review from the City’s main homepage through Online Payments.
  5. Where can I obtain a history report?
    • Utility balance information is available for review from the City’s main homepage through Online Payments.
  6. If I only use water that doesn't go into the sewer system, can the sewer system fee be reduced on my bill?
  7. I have a pool, can I get a discount on my water or garden meter?
  8. I cannot make a payment by the due date.  Can I get a payment extension or budget billing?
    • Unfortunately, the system does not allow payment extensions.
  9. How often will I receive utility statements?
    • Billing statements are issued every month.
  10. Who do I contact to establish services?
    • Please review and complete the “New Service Customer Packet” from the City's main home page under Government>Departments A-I>Billing & Collections or by clicking here. This packet includes both a "Request for Utility Services" form and "Utility Account Termination" form.
    • Please email the completed form along with the required lease/deed and photo ID to Utility Billing at or come to the Utility Billing Office located at 144 N. Sycamore Street. We DO NOT establish services over the phone.
  11. When a new tenant or new owner takes over a property and establishes a new account, does that automatically discontinue the previous account for that address?
    • Yes, once a new service is created, it automatically closes previous accounts
  12. Can I close a utilities account or alter account information over the phone?
  13. What are the utilities office business hours?
    • To establish an account or for official business, services are available from 9:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
  14. If my trash carts were stolen, how do I receive new ones?
    • If your trash carts are stolen please contact CVWMA at (804) 425-0500 to notify them of your missing cart (s). If your cart (s) cannot be located, there is a $58.00 replacement fee. 
    • You should call the Utility Billing Office at 804-733-2349 or email Utility Billing at to purchase a replacement trash cart. Payment can be made in person or online. No CASH is accepted for purchasing a replacement trash cart.